Thursday, March 10, 2011

Using reference 2


50’s reflection - drawing a typical scene

I decided to draw a typical family at home in the 50’s in grayscale as this seems to typify the early 50’s for me. I was just a little kid during the 50’s but I recall the perfect little wife who’s duty it was to raise children and make the perfect home while looking her best at all times. I also included the husband, in his suit after work,  and teenagers who were discovering new music on 33rpm. The little girl has her rubber doll -pre Barbie.


TV started out as a box, a black and white affair with tubes. Furniture was boxy and practical, a lot of formica which I think was the new cheap alternative to wood. Tacky patterned wall paper and carpets.

I put in the flying ducks as we had them in our house as did quite a few of the neighbors. One of the items I did not put into the drawing were the comic books. This was important reading material for kids, but rather than include a comic, I drew the family in comic book style. Typical, well yes as I remember it.



No comments:

Post a Comment