Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Exercise:Viewpoint

 Client visuals

Based on the requirement to produce visuals, or scamps for a client prior to actual art work, the exercise now is to choose a theme, either festival, morning after, summertime or workshop. Then photograph, crop and draw thumbnails from sections in different formats to find a viewpoint which best expresses what you are planning to illustrate.
I chose the theme workshop as a challenge. The mundane and everyday things found in a workshop or basement could be an interesting theme and as we have been doing so much work around our house, it seemed an interesting theme to try.

stacks of wood
workbench in repose
toolbox
I looked a different ways to capture interesting aspects of the images. Using 2 l-shaped pieces of card, I cropped the most interesting ones into different shapes.
from the sketchbook, different aspects

In the end I decided  I preferred the workbench hanging on the wall. It symbolises workshop to me. and the fact that it has its own place to hang, shows a permanence of place. 
Changing viewpoints certainly was an excellent exercise and I enjoyed seeing the 'mundane', or things that you would not normally look twice at, in a new light.
Redone to a larger format, I think this would
work very well as a watercolour with washes
of grey and rusts contrasting against the
aluminium and wood bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment