Thursday, June 14, 2012

Project: Diagramatic illustration

In order for the viewer to 'read' a diagram it is essential to create an image which if both simple to follow and graphically pleasing to the eye. The exercise is to diagramatically illustrate either making a cup of tea, playing an instrument or getting to my house.
To start it was important to research other diagramtic illustrations to understand how they work.

Because my house is located in a little village I jumped at the chance of illustrating a little map to show not only where I live, but show the village at the same time. Initially I thought of doing a full colour map as the village is surrounded by beautiful ochres, but on reflection, the house is the subject not the village. Also I felt the drawing should be pencil rather than done on the computer to reflect the antique quality of the area rather than a modern feel. As the instructions were to do a visual without words if possible, I thought I would do a drawing similar to the road trip illustration, but without all the detail.
My first attempt including thoughts of what I needed to include
Without making any comments, I took the map around to some friends and family who were all in agreement that it was not only easy to follow, but they also enjoyed the simple visual aspects of the map. Even though it is primitive and plain, I like it and decided not to change it as I was not sure how to improve it other than giving it a new frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment