Thursday, June 14, 2012

Project: Abstract illustration

Relying on marks, colour and structure, the assignment is to communicate an idea or story using abstract medium and colour. With the choice of 4 musicians, I decided on the Gypsy Kings because of the energy of their music.
I downloaded the 'best of' and listened to it several times. I also did a search on the internet and found some of their old album covers that use an abstract format. The first two didn't do anything for me but I liked the last two, especially the last one.
As I listened to the music and started drawing, I felt there was a definate red energy, images of flamenco dancers, stomping feet, guitars and trumpets. Some my first drawings reflect that energy. Unfortunately I felt they didn't have the abstract feel I was looking for.



I quite liked the idea of the little singer who doubles as a guitar, so I decided to have a go in Illustrator and see what happened. I'm still working out how to use the tools and find the drawing a bit daunting at the moment, but the only way to learn it is to use it, so here is the result.

I asked for some feedback and got a negative on what it represents, so decided to try to do a representation of the other drawing which to me represents movement and energy of the music. However, I quite like the little guitar king, especially as it has lots of energy, music and colour.
So here is the illustrator file. I enjoyed the drawing and using the colour, but could it make a CD cover? I'm not sure. It's definately abstract but I do prefer the guitar king.

No comments:

Post a Comment