Saturday, August 27, 2011

Illustrators of interest

My tutor, Penny, has come back with some great comments and some good ideas to improve my work. One of the three of the artist she thought would be of interest to me is
Kareem Ilia. I think because of my work in exploring and painting where we experimented with cut outs and colour. Kareem does a lot of cut out with watercolour wash,and I quite likes his use of paper layers in the first image. His work is so simple and so beautifully executed. Although focused mostly on fashion his list of clients internationally is extraordinary.
























Two other artist suggested are Gez Fry and Roy Litchenstein for comic book illustration. I have always loved Litchensteins work and saw a number of his paintings here in Dubai during the Art Festival (Wham being one of them). I was surprised to see he was part of the surrealist movement, as I thought of him more as a contemporary.. very modern and exciting.

I thought this was a pretty great description of his work: The ironic Lichtenstein who takes soulful subjects and paints them with cool' by David Sylvester, American Vogue September 1969 and this one:
'Is He the Worst Artist in the U.S.?', Life Magazine January 31, 1964 - For some of America's best known critics and a host of laymen, the answer to the above question is a resounding YES. A critic of the New York Times, hedging only a bit, pronounced Roy Lichtenstein "one of the worst artists in America." Others insist that he is no artist at all, that his paintings of blown-up comic strips, cheap ads and reproductions are tedious copies of the banal. But an equally emphatic group of critics, museum officials and collectors find Lichtenstein's pop art "fascinating","forceful", "starkly beautiful". 
reminds me of the 70's using Letraset
UK-born but now based in Japan, Japanese-British artist Gez Fry applies both hand-drawn and computer-generated techniques to his anime-inspired style. The influence of several big manga artists, such as Masamune Shirow (of ‘Ghost in the Shell’ fame) can be seen in his work, as well as those from traditional Japanese art periods such as Ukiyo-e. I chose a few of the works I really liked including a beautiful sketchbook pencil drawing. 








No comments:

Post a Comment