Friday, July 8, 2011

Creating Content continued

Drawings from my sketchbook:
I have tried to depict the personality of the policeman as a person who is frustrated, middle aged, tired and very angry.

His office is perhaps a bit too congested here as compared to the description. I have put in a lot of files because he has been working for 15 years investigating for the police, so even though the office is stark the number of files would be enormous and justified in the illustration. I feel he would have had a typewriter and perhaps an old phone, files and little else.


The sketches of the man looking out over London are not dramatic enough and need something more to make you look and wonder about why he is at the window and what is he looking at or is he just reflecting on his thoughts. I read that Old Scotland Yard back in the 40's was still overlooking the clock tower. I've had to use my imagination here as I have not been able to find any good reference as to what the view would have been.


Re-reading the story describes London during the war. The idea of war works well as a metaphor for what is happening within the man himself... battling his anger.


I found a photo of St Paul's during the London blitz. It appears to almost be the postcard marking the time and place. Superimposing it into the window helps to make the scene more in line with the description of the time and place.


Then I found a painting of London during the blitz by David Bomberg of bomb damaged London on line at the war museum. I digitised it to grey scale and gave it a photographic warm tint to simulate sepia contrasts with the stark black and white of the man himself.


I need more practice with drawing in photoshop, but plan to buy a tablet as I'm sure that will be a lot easier than using a mouse.












No comments:

Post a Comment